Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Citizenship

for our english speaking user.

Citizenship

Beitragvon Matt » Mi Jan 06, 2010 1:01

Hi all, I`m looking for advice on obtaining citizenship in Mauritius. I`m English, as is my wife, but she is also a Mauritian Citizen and Mauritian passport holder as both her parents are from Vacoas. We would eventually like to live in Mauritius but we are a little confused as to the process I need to go through. The info on the Mauritius government website is confusing, and conflicts with what we have been told by a Policeman friend of ours who works at Plaisance Airport. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

Matt
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: Citizenship

Beitragvon mempep » So Jan 10, 2010 6:01

Matt, the information on citizenship and residency on the government portal is accurate when following the formal channels. There is a residency test (need to be in Mauritius for a certain period of time) when applying for citizenship.

It may be that you should get residency first. This involves applying to Immigaration :
http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/passportS ... 0a0208a0c/
but check the time needed in Mauritius and see if you can go straight to applying for citizenship.

If in doubt call into the government department in Port Louis and they'll give you the information you need. Prime Ministers Office deals with citizenship, Immigration with residency. Remember they all take lunch at the same time so don't go around midday to 1.30.

I haven't got to a citizenship stage but the guys in Immigration (on the mezzanine floor, far end from the stairs, the office facing the stairs, in the left corner as you look from the stairs/lift) helped with residency - though the process took much longer than they said it would. I give you directions as the first visit had me being sent from floor to floor for over an hour. Also be aware your birth and marriage certificates will likely need to be stamped with Apostille of the Hague Convention stamp which is usually done in the country of origin, not by the local consulate of your country in Mauritus - but check this also. Also a current (less than 3 months old) police clearance (certificate of morality) is needed from your originating country when you first apply. The 3 months may expire in the process but it seems as long as they get it inside the 3 months they're happy with that.

Funny thing I've found with Mauritians is that they are pretty helpful but often will tell you what they think is the process, rather than what really is the process because they don't really know but want to help you as best they can. Though your policeman friend may know someone who can quicken your process ?

Good luck.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Matt » So Jan 10, 2010 20:56

Thanks mempep, thats very helpful. Our Policeman friend told us that there is a requirement that I reside in Mauritius for 6 months before I can acquire residency but I have read through the info on the Government website and it makes no mention of this. Unfortunately I a still in full-time employment here in the UK so there`s no way that I can take 6 months off work. Anyhow, I`m going over next Xmas for a month and a half so I`ll make enquiries as you`ve suggested at the office in Port Louis.

Thank-you once again for taking the time to reply. Are you applying aswell ?
Matt
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Beitragvon mempep » Sa Jan 16, 2010 2:56

Matt, there is no 6 month requirement on residency. If you let them know you are looking to reside permanently, you will be coming back and your wife is a Mauritian citizen it should be okay, from my experience. You will however need a local address when you apply. I was leaving before my residency permit was finalised so the man at Immigration gave me a letter which was valid for 6 months until the permit came through. The permit is just in a letter form and it does give them the right to withdraw it at any time. According to what I read residency is supposed to be re-applied for every 3 years but the permit I got says it's valid until withdrawn, so I'll probably find out if I get any notice after the 3 years is up.

Citizenship required the applicant to be residing in the country for so many months over a 3 year period if my memory serves correct. I'm not 100% sure on how long but it was on the Govt portal.
mempep
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Matt » Sa Jan 16, 2010 16:18

Ok thanks mempep, thats what I thought, I`d not heard of this 6 month requirement to reside there. Many thanks for your help, I`ll take all my papers when I go in November and try again.

Cheers....Matt.
Matt
jette ene coup d'oeil
jette ene coup d'oeil

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English