Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

car insurance/road tax

for our english speaking user.

car insurance/road tax

Beitragvon rmim » Do Okt 14, 2010 19:40

Hello,

(My parents are Mauritian and I was born in the uk – we all currently live in the UK.)

I’m planning to buy a car in Mauritius as this seems the best option for me - I go to Mauritius every year for a minimum of 3 months. This makes hiring a vehicle for this amount of time a waste of money – owning a vehicle seems the cheaper option.

I have been given some information to do with road tax (declaration) and insurance, I was hoping someone here could verify this information: I was told that for a vehicle over 1.6 engine size the ‘declaration’ is 13,000rs. That Insurance for that vehicle would be 18,000rs (tourist/comprehensive) or 6,500rs (third party). Is this information correct?

More importantly I would like to know if I’m only using the vehicle for just 3 months in the year, then store the car in the garage – is it possible to just pay ‘declaration’ for the months that it will be used (or at least to only pay for 6 months). What about insurance – is it possible to only pay for the months that you actually use the car? (although, it might be wise to pay for insurance in case the car gets stolen even if you are not using the vehicle?) .

At the moment I own a motorbike – I have been paying in full even though for most of the time the motorbike is not being used. Is it possible for me to only pay for the months that I use the bike?

The type of car I’m interested in are the Hilux/Nissan hardbody (pickup trucks) type models. Any advance on this type of vehicle? My budget would be under 500,000rs (10,000ukp).

I was told there is no point importing a vehicle, as the total cost after all the various taxes are applied would make it more expensive than just buying the same vehicle in Mauritius itself – is this true?

Anything else I need to know as a car owner?

Thanks

rmim
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Re: car insurance/road tax

Beitragvon Leroy » So Okt 17, 2010 16:44

Hi !!!

Ok, hopefully this helps:

When U buying car, U need to "register" it, of coz too yearly road tax and insurence...

I just bought car with 1.6 litres engine ,

Registration 10 000 Rs ( One time fee)
road tax 4 500 Rs ( Yearly)
Insurance 4.800 Rs ( Yearly)

all fees depends of Engine size, If U wanna 4 x 4 ( 2.5 litres engine or up)
Registration about 20 000, Road tax about 13 000 Rs and insurance about 8000 Rs....
Yearly cost about 22 - 23 000 Rs

with Wishes , Leroy
Leroy
content sa forum la
content sa forum la

Beitragvon rmim » So Okt 17, 2010 19:57

Leroy hat geschrieben:Hi !!!

Ok, hopefully this helps:

Hi Leroy.

Thanks for the info.
rmim
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon teddamitzu » Mi Apr 11, 2012 7:24

Hi

I m paying about 16000 RS assurance Peugeot 307, 1351 CC. registration: friend of mine bought a pick up: he had to pay 200000!!!! Roadtax about 300 month.

My car is for sale. Let me know if you any any interest. Price 320000 very good condition and checked up by Iframac (Peugeot dealer, where I bought the car).

Stefanie
teddamitzu
aide boucou
aide boucou

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English