Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Aussie Moving to Mauritius - Working Permit

for our english speaking user.

Aussie Moving to Mauritius - Working Permit

Beitragvon Courts » So Sep 13, 2009 10:22

I'm an Aussie who will be moving to Mauritius in the next 2 months. I want to work when I get there but as I have never been to Mauritius before I will not have anyone to sponsor me.

I have tried contacting the Mauritian Embassy in Canberra to assist me with info about work permits but have received no response.

Can anyone please tell me what I would have to do to work there? Is a permit required? How would I apply? Do I have to be sponsored by a local company or can I arrive with a work permit and then find employment?

Thanks.

Courts
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon locallady » Mo Sep 14, 2009 6:33

I am almost certain that in order to obtain a work permit you must be earning in excess of Rs30,001 per month.You need to contact the Government department here before arriving to ascertain your status on arrival which i assume would be as a tourist and what evidence they would be expecting of this status.http://www.gov.mu-residence permit section.
locallady
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon kantor » Mo Sep 14, 2009 9:22

The government has a dedicated website:
http://www.worknlive.mu/
kantor
content partagé
content partagé

@Courts

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Sep 14, 2009 11:36

How about to start with looking for an employment? And why 'Mauritius' when you've never been there?

Sorry but these questions just appeared when I was reading your posting.

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon Courts » Mo Sep 14, 2009 13:21

My partner has been in Mauritius recently for business and will be moving their for work purposes. There is no urgency around me getting work but ideally I would like a job to keep me busy whilst there.

My partner has fallen in love with Mauritius, the people & the lifestyle. I can't wait to get there too!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I really appreciate the help. I have been finding some of the websites contradict each other so being pointed in the right direction is a huge help.
Courts
encor Basic
encor Basic

Living in Mauritius

Beitragvon MmeTortue » Mo Sep 14, 2009 15:00

Hello Courts,

now I understand your position a bit better. I hope you are already married with your partner? Otherwise it might become a problem getting a permission to stay.

As for finding a job for you it would be important to know what you've done until now or which yous skills and abilities you've got to offer. Do you speak French? Might be an issue as many conversations and correspondence take place in French although English is the official language.

Last but not least it is important where your partner will be working as public transport is quite an issue. I.e. crossing the island from East to West in the morning (direction Port Louis) and vice versa in the evening is not exactly fast and easy. (It's a pain in the a... to be honest)

Sorry if I sound like an old shrew but I think it is more helpful being honest than painting the future in brightest colors...

Mme. Tortue
DER WEG IST DAS ZIEL!
MmeTortue

Beitragvon Courts » Mo Sep 14, 2009 15:07

No, my partner and I are not married. I had not entertained the idea of entering the country on any sort of Visa or Permit that required us to be married.

I am currently employed as a Marketing Administrator and have exstensive Management and Administrative experience. I have also worked in Recruitment. I don't speak French but I am willing to learn.

My partner already has a home rented in Mauritius and has been working there for some weeks so transport/accomodation is no issue. They have a site in Port Louis and he travels from the North. But no complaints - no worse than peak hour traffic in Melbourne, Australia!!

I'm still a bit confused after looking at the websites, they all say that applications must be made in person in Mauritius but also state that I must have approval to work before entering the country. How can both be accurate?
Courts
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon locallady » Mo Sep 14, 2009 18:19

Not being married is not a huge issue-I know many expats who are here with one partner working and the other not and some of these are men---none are married .I believe that there may be some formalities on your arrival regarding your status which I understand will not be very difficult.
You may be interested to know that whilst you try to find work that there is a club here in the North for English speakers have a look at our website-you would be most welcome to come along and see what we have on offer. I have a friend who like you is living here with her partner and she has recently found employment in the North with a financial company...she was here for several months but found the work through various social contacts -there are many ex pats recently arrived in the North with contacts so you may just find what you are looking for when you get here and start to meet people.
locallady
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Courts » So Sep 20, 2009 10:53

Hi Local Lady,

Thank you so much for the invite. I have no found out I will be arriving Nov 14th so will be sure to look teh club up upon arrival and see what is on offer.

I still have had no luck finding any more info or help with the work permit, I've tried contacting so many different agencies & emailing websites and no one gets back to me!

It may be a case of having to come over as a tourist, and then when I come back to Aus after my 3 months are up I will hopefully have all the info I need to get the permit sorted out.
Courts
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ud » So Sep 20, 2009 12:11

Hi Courts,

I wouldn't bother waiting for email replies off those government or parastatal agency websites. They're encouraging tourists and investors to come to Mauritius but the way they convey information or reply to queries is terrible.

You're right in saying that the best option is to use your tourist visa duration of 3 months to try to find a solution to extend your stay to be together with your partner and at the same time find employment.

I think the fields of Administration/Finance/Recruitment offer some job opportunities to expats.

Good Luck

Kind Regards

ud
ud

Info Mauritius Annonce

Nächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English