Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

American Ex-Pat Blogging From Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Re: American Ex-Pat Blogging From Mauritius

Beitragvon leftright » Di Jan 18, 2011 8:19

ge0rge hat geschrieben: all the while whilst modern genetics is telling us exactly the opposite message. But that's another story).

Indeed genetics proves that we all share common ancestors, we all originated from the same "stock". Modern human nature hasn't really changed that much from our distant ancestors, has it ?, deep down we're still basic primates, greedy, attracted to "bling", and intolerant of other groups, the main difference being I think that instead of grunting we use words.

ge0rge hat geschrieben: My question then would be why should the fact that everybody being overcharged makes you feel any better? ...

Supermarkets have economies of scale, one item might be more expensive but others will be cheaper, e.g. fresh fruit might cost more in a supermarket, but at least one can select pieces so as to not have "rotten" apples in the basket, I can then continue with my varied shopping and buy the chicken on special etc, plus all my shopping is done under one roof, and I'm certain of the quality, I can also return defective items, going to a local market with kids is a nightmare, for several reasons.
I too have been "caught" by a Oxford Street fruit vendor, I have also been "caught" by a Mauritian door to door veggie/fruit vendor, so yes I do agree that the urge to turn a profit at another's expense through dishonesty is a universal trait, I try not to deal with such people. If I'm forced to buy something local then I'm a hard bargainer, but it isn't innate, I don't derive any pleasure whatsoever from the process. I think that bargaining is dishonerable and degrading for BOTH parties, it feels like both parties are trying to steal from one another, horrible process, and then one arrives home only to discover that the fruit at the bottom is rotten, what a bargain...

ge0rge hat geschrieben: I was told when I last visited Mauritius - you tell us what you want, you don't buy it. You are rubbish at bargaining and the moment you open your mouth the price has gone up.

You sum it up quite nicely. Why would I want to do business with that attitude?.

leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon futons-a » Do Apr 28, 2011 7:18

Oh Thank!! [blush]
futons-a
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Digital Paradigm » Mi Mai 25, 2011 1:53

Mauritius is a beautiful country, however Mauritians are not , i own a small mid-size business , and i know what an expatriate goes through, no Mauritian can understand this, because they are busy abusing their privileges , life on island could be good, only if system changes here.. if you are not a Mauritian then you;re doomed, system adopted by government has exploited all kind of classes in Mauritius, rich, poor, educated , uneducated, young, old.. and by now they are so well trained in how to rip off expatriates, wow.. i can right a book on all those experiences i have had in last 4 years now..
Digital Paradigm
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon Brucey » Mi Feb 06, 2013 16:25

Aww...shame! This post dried up, just when it was getting interesting. A couple of depressives committed suicide p'raps?
Brucey
nouvo
nouvo

Beitragvon leftright » Mi Feb 27, 2013 10:00

Brucey hat geschrieben: A couple of depressives committed suicide p'raps?

nah, just waiting for the shite to hit the fan with you, it's just a matter of time.
Brucey hat geschrieben:Aww...shame! This post dried up, just when it was getting interesting.

happy to oblige

Any type of residence or work permit issued by the Mauritian authorities is effectively a 48 hour permit automatically renewed after 48 hours for the duration of the permit, this arises because a residence permit can be revoked at any time by the Prime Minister, the Prime Ministers office or relevant "Authority" without explanation and without recourse to a civil process, and the permit holder has 48 hours to get off the Island.
The best example of this authority being abused was at the Sheraton hotel at Ebene, once the hotel was up and running the Mauritian syndicate utilised their connections in the governments office to get the legitimate foreign contractors expelled, the only recourse that the expelled company had was to sue the syndicate in London, and that's getting nowhere.

Who wants to do business under those circumstances. Then there's also the innate mendaciousness and "double think" which is evident in most Mauritians.

NO thanks not for me.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon Joe » Fr Jun 07, 2013 12:14

leftright hat geschrieben:... Then there's also the innate mendaciousness and "double think" which is evident in most Mauritians. ...

Hi LeftRight,

please could you describe a bit more precisely, what you wanted to describe with the term "double think " ?

TIA, Joe
Gruss, Joe
Joe
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Bilder: 36

Beitragvon leftright » Do Jul 18, 2013 11:33

Hi Joe

Definition of double think;

"To be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies."

“The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality. By a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge, and so on indefinitely with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth"
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon jhanvi » Di Aug 13, 2013 13:19

Gerard hat geschrieben:I am sorry that your experience in Mauritius has not been a very good one and in your blog, you made various statements that you feel discriminated against, you accuse all citizens of Mauritians of being corrupt to the core and you paint a very gloomy picture of life on the island. I am a citizen of Mauritius and do feel very offended, insulted and hurt by your scathing comments. I have many friends who are ex- patriates like yourself and they have integrated very well to island life . Mauritius is still a third world and developing country and should not never be compared to the west. The USA have far worse problems indeed including violence, racism ( The Klu Klux clan, the white supremacists, the violence, daily shootings etc.). When you went to live in Mauritius, you only focused on the negative side and maybe your expectations were not met. Please do not demonise Mauritian people who are renown for their kindness and their warm welcome. If things are so bad, i am sure that you can always relocate to your wonderful and idyllic country and spare yourself all the problems you complained about in your blog.
Good day to you sir.

It is not good to say something bad to the whole country just because of one person. I must say that black sheep are every where and and in every culture. Sorry that you had to face such situation. But my experience of two years is that this place is very much friendly and livable
jhanvi
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon motou » So Nov 17, 2013 12:31

I am a black Mauritian 'expat' (45 years in London from 1961) and a returnee to my place of birth. Randall...EVERYTHING you said here and in your Blog is perfectly true 110%!! except that it's much much worse for me because I am a blackman! I 'rarely' came across racism in London, and I am (have had to be) extremely street wise...so I thought, until I came here to live! OMG!!! [shout] Some will spend MORE of their money to rip off another than the value of the rip!..no kidding!It's in the National DNA deffo! This island is the very best rip-off university on the planet!...Awesome! I had a house built - (Please don't do this unless you absolutely KNOW what you are doing )- It took 6 months to find the right builder and I hired a very very good engineer to supervise the works AND I HAD to turn up on site everyday for 9 months to safeguard my investment! Phew!. The building went fairly well, however, the electrician, plumber,carpenter, window fitters...to name but the very few... A blog is not adequate...a 200 page book no less would be more like it! [ireful] nuff said!
motou
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Vorherige

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English