Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

American Ex-Pat Blogging From Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Re: American Ex-Pat Blogging From Mauritius

Beitragvon ud » Mo Jan 17, 2011 12:12

leftright hat geschrieben:
ud hat geschrieben: Wow this must be the year 2011's most amazing discovery: There is dishonesty among both poor and rich people. Let me once again enlighten you on how poor people are being charged for benefit fraud in the UK and how rich MPs are also getting sued for their false claims.

You miss my point completely, which is,
Why do poor people use the excuse that they're poor for their dishonesty, what happened to being poor and having morals and virtues, this ALWAYS eludes you ud, but from previous conversations here I know that dishonesty is acceptable to you, as long it's done to "other" people, preferably "whites" and "tourists".
I guess you can excuse and blame the murder of that young lady in a 5 star hotel on the fact that the thieves were poor Mauritians who needed the money, that her death by strangulation was a accident, and silly girl, if she hadn't gone back to her room for "biscuits" she would still be alive, so it's all her fault.

Well I guess if you can't find a plausible reply to any other of my posts which make sense, you get personal and start being disrespectful of people and in this case accusing me of even trivialing a murder. How can you say such a thing? What do YOU know of what Mauritians in Ireland and the UK have to face when their colleagues discuss the murder case? Do you think we feel great about it and try to blame the lady? We all want justice to be done and it will be done. Just a week ago I lost my an old school friend in a car accident which happened here in the UK in Cumbria because of a non-gritted road. He lost control of his car and hit a tree. He was under 27 year old. Where was that in the news? Did we blame the Cumbria council for a non-gritted road that possibly cause the accident? He is not a famous person and did not make it on the news unfortunately unlike that girl who was the daughter of a rugby club manager.

ud hat geschrieben:There you have it! You have a maid! Consider yourself among the top tier of the Mauritian society. Keep complaining!

Yes I have a maid, which part do you resent, the fact that I have a maid or that I help support her family of five ?.

ud,
As stated before, you are BLINDLY patriotic, you always make excuses and blame external factors for, the lack of governance, the lack of infrastructure, the lack of industry, the blatant dishonesty, the dangerous disregard of traffic rules by the locals, the bent police, the bent customs officials who make it impossible to import anything without a healthy "private" contribution thereby stifling entrepreneurial initiatives. Yes ud, I'm beginning to understand that Mauritius's dysfunction is everyone else's fault, especially the wealthy countries who don't just "give" money to the establishment.

Soon you will be writing a new post when your maid does something wrong or steals from you and then you will blame the whole country for it. What you have said is a load of bollocks. I am impartial in my posts (well, if you have read all of them in a sensible way that is) before but do you want me to just accept your views? There are around 5 people who expressed the same disgust at your generalising some bad things and blaming the whole country for it. What a generous act you are doing, providing support to your maid's family of five, what a nice way to put it into perspective, almost sounded like an excuse from colonial times.

So far all your posts have been answered with facts and figures. You haven't even made any contribution apart from ranting about things existant in all countries around the world.

ud

ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon leftright » Mo Jan 17, 2011 13:17

ud hat geschrieben:Soon you will be writing a new post when your maid does something wrong or steals from you and then you will blame the whole country for it.

nah, on the contrary, I'll behave like a local and encourage it.

It's curious though that you are a Mauritian resident in London, just can't get away from the " evil colonials" eh, the same ones that abolished slavery on the Island and gave Mauritius Independance [bye]
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ud » Mo Jan 17, 2011 15:32

ud hat geschrieben:Soon you will be writing a new post when your maid does something wrong or steals from you and then you will blame the whole country for it.

nah, on the contrary, I'll behave like a local and encourage it.

It's curious though that you are a Mauritian resident in London, just can't get away from the " evil colonials" eh, the same ones that abolished slavery on the Island and gave Mauritius Independance [bye]

Who said that I am a Mauritian resident in London? Typical proof of how you just generalise without facts or proof behind your statements. Just so you be clear:

1) I am not a mauritian by birth. Having lived there for a number of years, there is nothing for me to gain by talking or boasting good things about Mauritius.
2) I did not flee the country for a better life as you try to point out in your satyre but am just a student planning to return to MU once my university studies end. In what way does that make me "can't get away from the evil colonials"? The education system in Mauritius allows you mostly no other alternative to follow the british tertiary education system and I opted for a field of study not taught in Mauritius but in UK and apparently you must be really bad at geography too because not all universities are in London and England is not the only country that falls part of the UK.
3) Wow the brits abolished slavery and gave us the independence. We have bank holidays for these two dates which you're right to say, I can't get away from that.

Please return to your household chores....oh I forgot....return to supervise your maid instead. We shall all be waiting for a sensible, clear, innovative and concise post from yourself in the future ideally backed up this time with proof, figures, e.t.c. Until then...

ud
ud

Beitragvon leftright » Mo Jan 17, 2011 15:43

ud hat geschrieben: Please return to your household chores....oh I forgot....return to supervise your maid instead.

lol. Your true colours shine bright, quite the little male chauvinist pig aren't you.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ud » Mo Jan 17, 2011 15:58

leftright hat geschrieben:I've had oral sex from many strangers

"Says who?" the little male chauvinist pig asked the big bad slutty cow and so the tale goes.
ud

Beitragvon leftright » Mo Jan 17, 2011 16:15

ud hat geschrieben:
leftright hat geschrieben:I've had oral sex from many strangers

"Says who?" the little male chauvinist pig asked the big bad slutty cow and so the tale goes.

You really are a source of amusement, I'd rather be known as a person who has relationships with whom she chose's than be a warped male chauvinist pig, you fail to see that being a sexual person doesn't make me a bad person, but your innate, backward, third world chauvinism is a despicable, hostile, flaw of character.

P.S. should you even be a moderator on this forum for you are tactless, biased, bigoted, opinionated, obnoxious and chauvinistically hostile towards woman posters who disagree with you, have I omitted anything [bye]
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ud » Mo Jan 17, 2011 16:38

leftright hat geschrieben:You really are a source of amusement, I'd rather be known as a person who has relationships with whom she choses than be a warped M.C.P, you fail to see that being a sexual person doesn't make me a bad person

The most amusing thing is that by choosing to have oral sex with strangers still makes you a slut and a dirty cow.
leftright hat geschrieben:but your innate backward, third world chauvinism is a despicable, hostile, flaw of character.

You madam lack sensible, clear, innovative and concise ways to discuss things in this forum with no strong proof or figures to back them up.
You use big words from the west like chauvinism showing your extreme feminism colours. You still hold a grudge against that man who jumped the queue ahead of you at the bank eh?
Take it out, take it all out. It's so easy to blame a whole country for your mishaps. Tell the other people of this forum why are you still staying in this country despite all the bad things you're pointing out?

ud
ud

Beitragvon leftright » Mo Jan 17, 2011 16:49

ud hat geschrieben:The most amusing thing is that by choosing to have oral sex with strangers still makes you a slut and a dirty cow.

You poor poor frustrated darling, would you like a "B.J.", I would be happy to pay for a english rose to ease your frustrations in the UK.

You really shouldn't be a moderator here, for all of the reasons above, but enough of this, it's tiresome, circular and above your head discussing the concepts which have been put forward here by me and others, you have a third world mind, bigoted and chauvinistic, I pity your wife or girlfriend.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ge0rge » Mo Jan 17, 2011 23:13

Joe hat geschrieben:Guys,

it's a matter of fact, that if I want to buy something in MRU , I first have a look and verify that it is what I want and then I send my wife (Mauritian) to buy it , cheaper than I could have got it. Whatever the reasons behind this behavior are; it is as I experienced it in the last 7 years.

Every buyer is here evaluated by the seller and this evaluation has an impact on the price. A tourist gets a high evaluation ... has to pay a higher price. A Mauritian who looks like he has some money ... pays more, but they usually know how to get a "local" price.

Every seller has to put a price tag on his goods, that's an official law widely ignored and nobody seems to be responsible to ensure its enforcement. A good strategy for tourists is toy buy only where there are price tags, usually avoiding the small sellers.

ge0rge, in which countries have you experienced similar behavior ? In the EU zone ? Please would you be so kind to share this experience with us !

Hi Joe,
I see ud and leftright have been talking on a number of interesting points in other posts but I'd like to stick with this point about Skin tax and why I said it was a nonsense. I don't doubt the veracity of your experiences but I think the premise is wrong. The price does not go up simply because you are white. It goes up because you have money and you are a foreigner.
Who are the moneyed people? For mauritians, they are the whites
How do you recognise a stranger? He does not speak the lingo and probably a host of other cues as well.
So you fit the bill for a bit of scamming or profiteering.
Neither the local white nor the rich non-white get that treatment ... because they are not the right target (well sometimes they pay over the odds as well but probably don't care!).

You ask me which countries I have experienced scamming behaviour ... I am not white but I fit the criteria of tourist/foreigner and probably (sometimes) the assumption that I can afford the asking price. So, here goes for a laugh :-)
In Spain (with my wife - white & Irish), we went to the local market and decided to buy an unknown, strange looking fruit - cost? 20 euros. Met up with our friends later (english couple living for a few years in Spain) and we mentioned the fruit and what we paid. They roared laughing and told us we've been scammed (but the fruit tasted nice!). Sure enough I saw the same fruit in the supermarket priced 3 or 4 euros.
In Bussels I went to the Pharmacy to buy some vitamin C powder. Asked how much I wanted. As I did not know how much I 'll get, I said about 10 euros' worth. Pharmacist gave me the powder in a small plastic pot. Couple of months later, vitamin ran out. I took the same pot to a different pharmacy (not more than a kilometer apart between these pharmacies). Asked how much powder do I want. I gave him the pot and pointed to a level in the pot roughly about what I got the last time. Cost this time? 30 euros. Had to politely tell him that I only wanted half that amount (I was too civilised to point out to him the error of his ways ... or perhaps I just could not be arsed to explain. Needless to say I never went back to that pharmacy again).

As to the rotten fruits at the bottom of the basket (mentioned in one of the earlier posts), I had to laugh because the same thing happened to me in a street market in London. Saw this beautifully arranged display of nectarines or peaches and bought a kilo. When I got home two or three among the half dozen fruits were rotten. I have no idea how these people spot - here come the patsy! I guess my point is that shady behaviour is not because of your skin colour per se (or even your presumed group affiliation. After all Bernard Madoff's first investors were jews - he scammed them just the same with his ponzi scheme). It has to do with opportunism and unfortunately for you, skin colour is one of these cues in the particular environment you find yourself in. It is not rank racism as I understand it (Oh yes, I agree that mauritians have serious intergroup conflicts. The media does not talk about it much - bad publicity for tourism understandably. Inter-marriages would go some way to smooth out such needless conflicts and all this stupidity about race but for some cultural and historical reasons, this intermixing is frown upon - almost a heresy... all the while whilst modern genetics is telling us exactly the opposite message. But that's another story).

Now another perspective on this overcharging lark - although I've been using somewhat emotionally-charged words as scamming or profiteering (because I am assuming that how you are feeling about these going-ons), time to redress the balance. I think that the kind of price escalation we've been talking about is neither dishonest nor even unusual. It can be regarded as the cost of doing business in a particular context. I pay a couple of euros for a fruit in the supermarket. I find that I can get a boxfull of the same fruit (about a dozen tot 20) in the street marketplace. The people in the market must be making a profit. So am I being scammed by the supermarket? I don't think of it that way - I say to myself I am paying for the brick and mortar, staff costs and some profit for the supermarket owners. (I still buy the fruit in the supermarket because I only want one or two!). Anyway, let carry on this train of thought - You can reply back that this price hike is not the same as the skin tax because everybody else is being (over)charged the same. My question then would be why should the fact that everybody being overcharged makes you feel any better? ... except for the satisfaction of not being singled out? This would be an emotional response and does not tell us much about the honesty/dishonesty of the seller. Indeed I believe we are being singled out time and time again. There is this anomaly (well to me anyway) that in a lot of shops in Belgium, they do not displayed their prices. You have to go in and ask and perhaps start bargaining ... just like with the small sellers in Mauritius. There is no doubt in my mind that different people will get different prices. Perhaps you should play along and laugh at the whole situation. I was told when I last visited Mauritius - you tell us what you want, you don't buy it. You are rubbish at bargaining and the moment you open your mouth the price has gone up.

By the way, taxis fares from Brussels airport are astronomical - about 5 times higher than normal taxis. Perhaps that might make leftright feel a bit better :-)
ge0rge
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ge0rge » Di Jan 18, 2011 1:11

ge0rge hat geschrieben: As to the tendency of mautitians to be dishonest. make the next generation economically secure and this trait disappears like a puff of smoke.

leftright hat geschrieben:Ah yes, a little bit of blackmail goes a long way. {I don't follow the connection to my statement. Sorry}
I think you do poor people a major disservice with that statement, you are implying that the poor are not capable of honesty, {Nope. My statement does not imply that} and that it's ok for them to steal because they are poor, {Nope. I did not imply that either} well, so much for the virtue of honesty. I have also noticed that many RICH people are dishonest, {agree} it seems to me that honesty is not determined by financial status {agree. Not solely but it does provide a greater degree of freedom to choose to be honest or not to those people who are in that position}. Honesty is a virtue, this is why morals and virtues are so important, it's the glue that keeps society together, and if one group of people considers another group or individual "unworthy" of their morals and virtues then that society will become unstuck. {can't disagree with the general tenor of that statement. Indeed such a society disintegrates and there are probably plenty of examples from past history}

I can see that you put great store in morals and virtues. This is only commendable (from my perspective) because I share your values such as straight dealing and honesty but unfortunately the world is full of people and societies with their own set of morals and virtues which may be diametrically opposed to yours or mine because of other circumstances. You can argue that's theirs are not real/true morals or virtues. They'll turn round and say the same things back to you and some are even ready to kill you.
I guess the point I want to make here is that you can get angry and berate people for not behaving to your standards but it is all pointless and a losing battle unless there is some sort of equivalent level and in my view, economic prosperity is that leveller. Rather pessimistically I also said I see no great prospect of Mauritius being able to achieve that. The reasons can be many but randomness can change that (in the sense that Mauritius may have something of great value which is not apparent now}. I will be the first to cheer if Mauritians can have that kind of fortune.
ge0rge
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English