Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

American Ex-Pat Blogging From Mauritius

for our english speaking user.

Re: American Ex-Pat Blogging From Mauritius

Beitragvon rkennedy01 » Sa Jun 05, 2010 21:28

Joe,

Some things I like about Mauritius:

1. The beaches (when I'm not tripping over all the the trash left behind by the locals).
2. The vistas (when they're not obscured by the umpteenth IRS project).
3. The sense of security (when locked-up tight behind the Fer-forge and Xpandas)
4. The civic pride (OK, that's not even worth lampooning - it's so ridiculous).

To be fair, the sunsets are nice. And the island did manage to export my wife. So it isn't all bad... [biggrin]

RCK

rkennedy01
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon rkennedy01 » Sa Jun 05, 2010 21:48

Gerard,

You sound like every other Mauritian ex-pat I've met: Waxing poetic about the many virtues of Mauritius...from afar. In your case, you fled your homeland some 4 decades ago for what were no doubt greener pastures in the UK. Good for you. You've achieved the great Mauritian dream: Escaping from the "rock" to someplace better, one with a sense of hope and genuine opportunity. But don't pretend like you know what's going on here. I, too, visited the island regularly for many years (15 years married to a local) - staying for as long as two months on several occasions. However, it wasn't until I moved here full-time - buying a car, building a house, dealing with the CEB/CWA/WMA/Telecom/municipalities and fighting several small legal wars with a rogue's gallery of unscrupulous contractors and deceitful laborers - that I appreciated just how difficult life is on the island. Peel-back the shiny veneer of IRS projects and white-glove resorts and you're left with a reeking cesspool of lies, corruption and dirty dealings at all levels of society.

RCK
rkennedy01
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon Gerard » Sa Jun 05, 2010 22:17

Hi Randall,
I did not certainly as you say flee from the island.....as a young man, i had the spirit of adventure and i wanted to see other climes......yes, i had the opportunity to better myself in the uk but it is not because i hated my motherland that i left.......i could have achieved a good career back on the island as i was already employed with good prospects.....it is a big wide world out there and i wanted to see more of it. Returning to the subject of this debate, i am making preparations to return to the island for good in the near future....maybe when i do return, we could all meet for a drink and discuss further our differences. As you can tell, i am fiercly patriotic and my views are that despite the problems and shortfalls, i think that there is no other country as Mauritius....i am sure you do feel the same for the country of your birth....we have to agree to disagree....i wish you well in your endeavours and i do hope that your current problems can be solved soon so that you can live happily with your good lady.
Very best wishes for the future,
Gerard [good]
Keep smiling and the world will smile back :)
Twitter id: Morisien06
Gerard
servi souvent moris forum
servi souvent moris forum

Bilder: 139

Beitragvon rkennedy01 » Mo Jun 07, 2010 20:10

Joe,

Check you Private Messages.

Thanks!
RCK
rkennedy01
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon rkennedy01 » Mi Jun 16, 2010 20:43

New entry at the blog:

http://whiteguysurcharge.blogspot.com/

Fairly unbelievable what happened today - pure primalism at its worst.

RCK
rkennedy01
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon leftright » Di Sep 14, 2010 10:18

Yes corruption exists worldwide, and in Mauritius, but it's the SKIN TAX which I detest the most. From Taxis (thieving bastards) to Fruit Vendors, in fact anyone that wants to sell something feels that it's its right to fleece the Whitey, or Tourist, sure, it's nice that everyone smiles whilst they ply their thieving dishonesty.

My musings of my extended stay in Mauritius.

From the air a Beautiful Island, on the ground, only If you stay at a five star resort and don't venture out into the wild, if you go for "walks" in the wild do please wear thick soled shoes for you are bound to tread on broken glass, also wear special eye glasses which will filter out all the rubbish, plastic bottles, fridges, broken toilets, building refuse etc, which has been dumped on vacant and government land.

Most of the coral life on the ring reef and within the lagoons has been destroyed due to the practice of dynamite fishing which was allowed up to the seventies. The fish life in the lagoons and seas around most of the villages and towns is virtually non existent due to overfishing by the locals who utilise any form of device to catch any marine protein, all fish species and crustaceans are landed irrespective of size and, in the case of lobsters, when the female lobsters have berries. The lobster population has been decimated to the extent that lobsters are now imported from Madagascar. There is a huge anomaly between the laws which exist to preserve and protect fish and the enforcement of these laws, The coast guard is under tight budgetary restraints and does very little patrolling, they are also reluctant to enforce existing laws with creole fishermen as they are deemed un-prosecutable due to their indigenous status. The coast guard is a department in name only, they do excel at inspecting the beaches on sunny days and if a station inspection is due then they'll endeavour to check the dive boats for correct documentation.
The estuaries are becoming polluted due to garbage which is dumped into the ravines by the Ministry Of Environment, inland ravines are utilised extensively as refuse dumps, this creates a huge problem with regards to toxic water flow into the various estuaries, this also has a adverse effect on various marine life.

The sugar estates dump their effluent into their bordering rivers, the resultant river water is a dark brown/black in colour with a strong foul stench, this effluent flows into estuaries, into lagoons, and is then flushed by tides into the open sea. The river which flows through the Medine sugar estate, at Flic en Flac, doesn't end in a estuary when it reaches the sea, it cascades from a water fall, ironically this " brackish water fall" is a tourist attraction for the speed boat operators. The surrounding sea life is sparse.

Did I enjoy my extensive holiday, within the confines of the hotel yes.
Zuletzt geändert von leftright am Di Sep 14, 2010 15:38, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon leftright » Di Sep 14, 2010 12:50

rkennedy01 hat geschrieben: Some things I like about Mauritius:

1. The beaches (when I'm not tripping over all the the trash left behind by the locals).

indeed, Jogging along the beach early mornings was a fun obstacle course, dodging all the litter strewn by the thoughtful citizens the previous day, and, the joyful packs of stray dogs that roam the streets and beaches, there's one alpha male dog that still has my shoe print on its backside from my inexplicable reaction to it trying to take a bite out of me one morning during a jog, poor thing it obviously couldn't contain its hunger.

rkennedy01 hat geschrieben: 3. The sense of security (when locked-up tight behind the Fer-forge and Xpandas)

I solved that problem at home by not having anything worthwhile stealing, no fancy electronics, no TV and ikea furniture. touch my cheap wood furniture, I haven't had a break in yet, goes to show that thieves do have good taste in furniture.

rkennedy01 hat geschrieben: 4. The civic pride (OK, that's not even worth lampooning - it's so ridiculous).

I really like how they apply their civic pride whilst dumping their refuse on someone else's land, precious..
Nationalism, I noticed the folks in Mauritius are very nationalistic, Some Western governments wish they had the same captive, blinkered, audience.

rkennedy01 hat geschrieben: To be fair, the sunsets are nice.

yes they are scenic.
Any time you have a clear unobstructed view facing west (not behind a IRS development or a 3 story monstrosity), sunsets are especially nice over water, err anywhere.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon leftright » Di Sep 14, 2010 15:13

rkennedy01 hat geschrieben: Peel-back the shiny veneer of IRS projects and white-glove resorts and you're left with a reeking cesspool of lies, corruption and dirty dealings at all levels of society.

Amen to that, add to that a local populace and government which has no respect for the environment, sure they have laws, which most disregard. Such a tiny island with a ever expanding population, where does all the garbage go ?.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Beitragvon ud » Mi Sep 15, 2010 16:24

There's always people who are never satisfied with what they have or the situation they are currently living in. They will always find things at fault or judge people. Some write ebooks about their "real life findings" and sell them as did a previous member from this forum while others blog their "daily life findings" like this gentleman. I think these people, who apparently originate from countries they class themselves as "developed" tend to think that they inherit the power and morality to use this term intended for statistical convenience and not necessarily for expressing a judgement about the stage reached by a particular country to make such remarks on Mauritius and even justify themselves.

With all your due respect (which I would not expect you to reserve for me as a national of such a despicable country as you so describe it) may I ask you why you are still staying there?

No..I'm only asking this because if the roles were reversed I'm sure the question won't be asked but in fact the likes of you would have been greeted by the two most meaningful words which originate from your developed countries: F*CK OFF.

Yours faithfully,

A citizen of Mauritius and forum user, ud.
ud
moris forum membre a'élite
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon leftright » Mi Sep 15, 2010 17:33

ud hat geschrieben:I think these people, who apparently originate from countries they class themselves as "developed" tend to think that they inherit the power and morality to use this term intended for statistical convenience and not necessarily for expressing a judgement about the stage reached by a particular country to make such remarks on Mauritius and even justify themselves.

So..., according to you everything is hunky dory in Mauritius, no issues, no skin tax, no corruption, ne petty crime, no break ins etc..?

Everyone has the right to their opinion, yes yours included, but does that mean that one has to see the world through rose tinted glasses ?, I'm amazed that you deny the real reality of life in Mauritius. or are you one of those privileged few that jumps queues at the bank because you're a male which doesn't acknowledge or wish to understand the concept of a queue ?. ( methinks you're a Mauritian expat living in London for several years, i.e. clueless).

ud hat geschrieben:With all your due respect (which I would not expect you to reserve for me as a national of such a despicable country as you so describe it) may I ask you why you are still staying there?

because, VIOLENT/Murderous crime is low, that is the only reason why I live on this island, however with the proliferation of the drug industry that might change ?. Do you honestly think that folks that live here for a extended period can't decipher for themselves what REALLY goes on ?, do you think that they're in denial like you ?. The objective of complaining is for improvement of the system, how else does one know that the system is defective ?. In my experience those that complain are merely trying to highlight deficiencies within the system with the hope of rectification of those deficiencies, is it wrong to have this attitude ?, how else does society improve ?. are we all obliged to stick our heads in the sand and "pretend" all is well ?.

ud hat geschrieben: the two most meaningful words which originate from your developed countries: F*CK OFF.

What a wonderful sentiment, I've had oral sex from many strangers, but not in cyber space, thank you for the experience, wholly inadequate though, needed to supplement your oral skills with my fingers, but, if you don't mind I won't Foxtrot Oscar whilst I have a lobster in the oven, imported from Madagascar of course.

Thank you for your insightful and knowledgeable rose tinted input.
leftright
moris explorater
moris explorater

Info Mauritius Annonce

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Mauritius Forum English