Mauritius blast 'no accident'
04/08/2004 12:41 - (SA)
Port-Louis - Police and FBI experts investigating an explosion at a restaurant last month that killed two people, now believe the blast was not an accident, Prime Minister Paul Berenger said.
The July 25 blast on the African island nation that killed a man and a woman was first thought to have been accidental, but investigators are now looking into possible criminal involvement.
Berenger told parliament Tuesday that forensic experts have determined "a high explosive was involved."
The finding does not change an earlier assessment that the blast was not the work of terrorists, Berenger added.
Examination of the site has led the police to focus their probe "on the local criminal trail, but all possible causes of the incident are still being fully investigated with the assistance of experts from the FBI," Berenger said.
The FBI offered the assistance of three of its investigators in the case.
Investigators will release a report on the blast by next week, Berenger said. - AP
Edited by Andrea Botha
Quelle: www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,,2- ... 04,00.html