Travel Info Mauritius

Webcam Mauritius

Weather Mauritius
  Mauritius Forum  
Mauritius Gallery

Mauritius Accommodation

Mauritius English Home

Looking forward to moving to Mauritius

here you can introduce your self or place your website here, if private or commercial.

Looking forward to moving to Mauritius

Beitragvon purplepixie » Fr Feb 22, 2008 16:28

Hi

My family (husband, myself and 4 children), are going to be moving to Mauritius in the near future (not too sure of time frame).

I appreciate any and all advice and information...

Just wanted to say hi, and I am sure I will have more questions in time to come.

For now, just wanted to know what is the basic cost of living (we are just ordinary folk), middle income family, and are looking for basic cost of things, for instance what does a loaf of bread and a litre of milk cost (using these prices as a benchmark)...

We will want to live in walking distance to the beach, as we are a homeschooling family, so being close to beaches is a priority, although we do not want to be on the east of the island.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing all the wonderful advice soon! i:()

purplepixie
encor Basic
encor Basic

Info Mauritius Annonce

Beitragvon ud » Fr Feb 22, 2008 22:08

Hi purplepixie,

May I ask why you don't want to be living in the East of the Island?

udester
ud
moris forum membre a'élite

Beitragvon purplepixie » Sa Feb 23, 2008 5:16

Hi Udester

I have been told that the east is a windy part of the island, and weathered (lot more rain)...

Is this accurate?

What area/s would you recommend?

We have seen a house online in Beau de Tombeau, but are not too sure what the area is like.... any comments about this area?

Thanks so much :wink)
purplepixie
encor Basic
encor Basic

Beitragvon ud » Sa Feb 23, 2008 14:14

Hello again purplepixie,

I agree that the Eastern part is windy but I think what you have in mind of the definition of "windy" is not that bad when it comes to the Eastern coast of Mauritius. Also, judging the area from a picture on the Internet is like judging a book by its cover.

purplepixie, since this is an important thing we're talking about with you moving permanently to Mauritius, it is REALLY important that you come and spend 2 weeks on a cheap accomodation. You'll take this opportunity to visit the best locations around the island and it might even be possible to meet fellow people who've decided to relocate before you. BY meeting up with people, talking to them and seeing the locations with your own eyes will help you make a better decision!

You haven't given any details on the type of accomodation you're looking for, what type of "entourage" you want to live in, or what facilities you would like to have near you, distance to the work place e.t.c. Don't hesitate to ask. There has been a few posts like this before and it seems like the Western part of the Island or the North Western parts have been the best compromise for these people - offering proximity to the wonderful beaches of Flic en Flac, Grand Baie, Pereybere/proximity to the work place and most facilities!

Don't hesitate to expand on what we've discussed and I'm sure people will comment and add their ideas.

Best Regards

udester
ud

Beitragvon purplepixie » Sa Feb 23, 2008 15:52

Hi udester

Thanks so much for your reply, it really is appreciated.

Ok, let me explain a bit further...

My husband's mother is from Mauritius and still has family there.

My husband and I (and our eldest son) spent about about 6 weeks in Mauritius in 2000. We experienced the hotel "picture postcard" holiday setup for 4 days at Coralia Mont Choisy, then spent time living in Rosehill with my husbands uncle who is a priest, and runs a seminary, for about 2 weeks, and then the remainder of the time in a self catering apartment in a village just before Grand Baie (can't remember the name of the place...) :O)

As for accommodation, we are really a very easy going family and not looking for anything fancy, but we do want to live as close to a swimming beach as possible - we homeschool our kids, so having schools close by is not important. My husband will be the one working, so he can commute to work, as long as the kids and I can at least walk to the beach we will be happy :mrgreen: What kind of rentals could we expect to pay for a 3/4 bedroom house/apartment (preferably furnished)?

My husband is a musician (singer/acoustic guitar) and a teacher, and we are currently living in Taiwan, and he is teaching English here. (So he will be looking for a job too - if anyone can recommend a recruitment agency or knows of any positions available, that would be great). What kind of salary could a teacher expect to be earning in a Private school or a State run school?

We are still in the beginning stages of acquiring paperwork to submit for citizenship, but we are looking forward to the move, and the sunshine :cool: Currently where we live in Taiwan, it rains ALL the time.....

So, to summarise:

1) What kind of rentals can we expect for a 3 or 4 bedroom furnished house/apartment?

2) What kind of salary could a teacher expect to earn in a Private/State run school?

Look forward to hearing more
:ploppop
purplepixie
encor Basic
encor Basic

Moving to Mauritus

Beitragvon sharonn1 » Do Feb 26, 2009 23:52

Hi there

I am currently preparing to move to Mauritius with my 3 kids, I am not sure if you have already made the move, any words to advice for me, do you have information on rental etc, I would appreciate any help possible.
thanks Sharon
sharonn1
nouvo
nouvo

your request

Beitragvon BarbaraG » So Mär 01, 2009 18:04

Hi purplepixie,

I live here in Muritius since 2005. Not easy to say which side of the island is the best to live. It really depends on what you are looking for. Also when you say you are a little worried about the wind, I can only say during summertime it's most welcome......or without aircon you just do nothing and sweat.....
why don't you check www.lexpressproperty.com that might give you an idea about what kind of prizes to expect. It's a site in englich and french.Otherwise the local newspaper www.l'express.mu gives actual offers but very often without amounts and it is in french only.
Pls let me know if I can help in any other way.
Take care/ Barbara
BarbaraG
moris explorater
moris explorater

Rental prices in Mauritius and my dad's villa

Beitragvon Turan » Mi Mär 04, 2009 14:03

Dear Sharonn,
My dad owns a property in Mauritius in Trou D'eau Douce.
I'm sure I should be able to speak to him about a long term rental.
The villa is by the beach in a complex and has a good link
I've checked the prices of the properties around Mauritius on http://www.lexpressproperty.com which suggests that properties (2-3 bedroom houses, not appartments) are going for around Rs50000-150000 a month.

I think he'll go for £1000 a month which is somewhat less than Rs50 000 around Rs 48 000.
We currently rent the property for £350 a week around Rs16800 a week.
His website is www.mauritiusholiday.mu. I've stayed in the property for three or four weekends during my previous holiday and it is a great place to live due to the nearby facilities in the village and flacq.
As far as the weather is concerned, it was like summer but in winter. The entire island does get dull for a few days when there are cyclones and tropical depressions but most of the time it is sunny.
The east is not the windy that we know in europe. You have the sea breezes which is natural around the island except I would say Port Louis. Nothing major as windy.
Anyway if you are interested do get back to me. If you want, you can try contacting him directly asraff@mauricare.com. (I think he'll be happy to get rid of the property for a long period).

Best of luck with the future.

Mohamed Turan
Turan
nouvo
nouvo

Mauritius - west coast

Beitragvon phammond » Do Mär 26, 2009 22:15

Hi there

We live on approx £GBP 500 per month, excluding any rent.
Food is expensive but many things are cheaper than the UK

(...advertising removed be admin...axel...)

Kind regards
PH
phammond
nouvo
nouvo

Info Mauritius Annonce

Zurück zu Introduce Your Self